Re: [tlug] Debian supported wireless PC Card

David Riggs wrote:

> I need to add 802.11b/g support to my 4 year old Toshiba Satellite. I
> have a PC card slot. Can anyone recommend a card that will work with
> Debian, hopefully Sarge? I don't care much about range and speed, since
> it will be in fixed location, not far from my own Netgear router, but I
> cannot run an ethernet cable.

prism2 based cards work great, but it's an old 802.11b only chipset.
If you don't need 802.11g, I think most 802.11b-only compactflash
cards (for PDAs) are probably using this chipset and should work
with a compactflash adapter.

prism54 used to have a good driver, but it seems it is no longer
actively maintained and most newer cards don't work with it.

A driver for broadcom-based cards is in the works, but still very
much beta AFAIK.

Intel are good, but I think they are only available as mini-pci?

I recently bought a cheap USB WLAN stick, which is using a zydas
chipset and linux comes with a driver since 2.6.17 IIRC.

There is also TI acx chipset and the atheros chipset, which have
linux drivers, but I've never used one of those.

The real trouble is, many vendors produce different versions of
their cards with the same model number/name, but containing
different chipsets.

HTH,

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de