[tlug] Trouble with Japanese input in OpenOffice

TLUG,

Generally speaking, Japanese input works fine on my system.

But there's just one spot where it's being a hassle, and that's in OpenOffice Calc.

Where text appears in the spreadsheet, it appears fine.

But in the "input line" at the top of the page where one does the editing of the content of individual cells, the font and kerning of Japanese characters is so bad that it's hard to do any inputs.

Literally, as I type in the input line, the font will change, the cursor will jump, and some kanji won't display, making it near impossible to do any editing. Really all I can ever do is type something completely fresh, but never go back and make any adjustments.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of problem?

Is this an OpenOffice issue, an Anthy input issue (I think I'm using Anthy), or something else?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS