Re: [tlug] outsourcing email service

Keith Bawden wrote:
There is hosted gmail to consider.

I applied for and received an invitation to use hosted Gmail (now Google Aps for Education) for my school, just to get some concrete information.

I have attached extracts of the email and pdf I was sent for anyone interested in more information on this issue, which, if nothing else, is a pretty interested topic, even if it is a little off-topic. I do apologize if I am cluttering the list with a platform-neutral issue.

PS: There is one thing that moving to hosted Gmail would solve -- one guy insists on using Outlook Express, and I do not have the authority to force him to quit, but we went Gmail, he would have no choice. That kinda interests me.

Micheal (message below, pdf attached)

------------------------

"
It is our intention to keep Google Apps free for education institutions
indefinitely, this also includes any incoming students you have.  As you
may know, Google was founded by a research project at Stanford and this is
just one way we can give back to our education partners.  It should be no
problem to offer your students and future classes accounts at no cost.

We would love to work with your school on using Google Apps for Education.
Please keep in mind while our interfaces are all available in Japanese,
currently all admin and support pages are only offer in english.  We are
actively working on translating these pages, but they are not quite ready
at this time.

Google Apps Education Team
"