Re: [tlug] Odd cron/crontab result.

Jim Breen wrote:
I have various housekeeping scripts I run regularly, e.g. hourly,
so I have crontab entries like this:

        0 * * * * /......./hourly_script

They have done what they are supposed to do, and continue to
on the main (Solaris) server I use at Monash.

Recently I have noticed several of the Linux systems I use,
including my Monash desktop system and my notebook, both FDC4,
only run hourly between 10:00 and 23:00. The hours until 10am
are skipped.

I have R'd the FM, Goggled, etc. all to no avail. I have tried
putting:

	0 0-23 * * * /......./hourly_script

but got no different result.

Any ideas:

- why I don't get it to work before 10am?
- what I need to do to fix it?

Cheers

Jim

Just in case this helps. I generally have cron invoked script produce output and make sure the root email is sent to my main inbox. This produces handy logs and such. If your running as a user, I'm not sure where the output goes, you'd have to check the man. For an hourly script this can be way too much, but you can use it to debug as it'll send you the error message that's killing the script if that is the case. Sorry if you already knew all this.