[tlug] Read my Firefox's cache contents on Linux

TLUG,

In order to retrieve a piece of now missing data that I accessed via my web browser, I'm hoping to be able to look into the contents of my browser's cache.

Back in the dark ages, when I used Windows, I remember one time I was able to retrieve data from Internet Explorer's cache quite easily. It was just stored in a directory, where there were snippets of files and fragments of HTML.

That was about 6 years ago, now that I think of it, so that may have changed in the time since.

In any case, with Firefox, the cache is stored in a more database-like structure. There's a cache map header, and cache data files and so on.

I tried opening them in a text editor, just to see if I could pull out snippets of text, but no such luck.

Looking on the web, I came across this site:

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1832

... which indicates that to read these files, one needs to disentangle them with special software. The software they recommend, "Cache View", is available only on windows. I gave it a whirl in my Virtual Windows, and it kind of sucks, actually.

Naturally I searched for a Linux equivalent of Cache View, but came up with nada.

Is there a straightforward application or method for reading Firefox cache data on my machine?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS