Re: [tlug] Making fun of Linux distributions

On 9/10/2006, "Dave M G" <martin@example.com> wrote:

>I get most of them, but I don't get the one for Ubuntu. Does Ubuntu have
>a rep for having semi-porn as part of their image somehow?

Some of the early Ubuntu artwork featured some fairly scantily clad
models (male and female) in it. It wasn't really semi-pornographic or
anything, it was more like "one big happy family" kind of an idea,
people standing around in a circle. There was a good bit of on-list
controversy over the artwork, which fell into two main camps: "I love
Ubuntu but there's no way I can have something that looks like this on
my desktop at work" and "There are a number of countries where this
artwork will be an absolute show-stopped and we will have an adoption
rate of zero in those places."

I believe they chagned it out in favor of something else, but since I've
been using Kubuntu since the early days, I haven't followed what went
on and maybe it stayed available as an optional theme. I didn't
personally find it to be in poor taste or anything, but I agree with the
people who said that it could/would be a showstopper in some business
and cultural environments, and it was my opinion that a little too much
"agenda" and a bit too little thought went into the choice of artwork.
By "agenda" I don't mean a hidden agenda, but the idea of "ubuntu
spirit." I like (K)Ubuntu for its technical merits and am not terribly
concerned with the "kumbaya" stuff.

Jonathan