Re: [tlug] Interactions between English and Japanese OS'es/Networks.

burlingk@example.com wrote:

> I have seen places where people discuss English windows machines
> slowing down Japanese ethernet and WiFi networks.

So the problem is not just an issue with Wifi as the subject suggests.
Wifi is wiggly, especially with multiple machines even without
Japanese versus English issues.

By "Japanese ethernet and WiFi networks" do you mean
"ethernet and WiFi networks _of_ Japanese Windows machines"?

What kind of slow down is experienced? Is it all network traffic,
or is it just restricted to limited protocols, such as SMB/NMB?

> Does an English version of Linux have the same effect?

... on networks of Japanese Windows machines or Japanese Linux machines?

> I'm wondering if it is something to do with the network implementation
> under Windows, or if it was specifically an issue with negotiating
> character sets or something.

Those are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Without knowing the answer, in networks of mixed English Windows
and Japanese Windows machines, I would expect the English Windows
machines to have more difficulty coping with foreign languages,
than I would expect the foreign language Windows machines to have
difficulty coping with English.

I could imagine how an English Windows machine struggling with strange
characters would delay or NAK responses, which would slow down the
whole network.

Also, as Windows has been migrating to Unicode, I would expect
less trouble when all the Windows machines are using newer
versions of Windows that use Unicode, than when some Windows
machines are using old versions Windows that use separate encodings
for each language.

Of course, connecting one English Windows machine that is infected
with malware can slow down any network.

All the above is mere speculation.

How would you refine the issue?