Re: [tlug] xorg 7.1 and mga card (and possibly Gateway monitor)

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 08:21:37AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:27:49 -0400
> Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had issues with xorg-7.1 and an mga card?  I have a pretty
> > vanilla (and old) Matrox G200 8MB and fairly unesoteric Gateway LCD
> > FPD1510 monitor.
>
> Yes i do and yes i know the pain of getting mga cards working
> with xorg 7.x. There are a few issues there. Most of which
> can be fixed by using the proper configuration. Though there
> is one that is dependend on a compile time option.

I'm not sure if you saw more of the thread.  I had similar though not
identical troubles with an old ATI 128 card, and unfortunately, don't
have a second machine (or second monitor) with room to play with this.

> If you tell us what your problem is ("does not work" is
> not a problem description ;) then we can help.

Why not?  Hundreds of users can't all be wrong.  :)

"Scott, we've lost the Internet."  "Well, it's a big Internet, I'ms
sure we'll find it."   "I tried to connect and got some kind of error
message."  "What message?"  "I don't remember."

With an attempt to install Fedora Core 6, Anaconda would correctly
identify the hardware, then, when starting the X server, the screen
would go black and I would get a message on the monitor, Input signal
out of range.   Various attempts to install using linux=lowres, linux
resolution=1024x768 (and various lower resolutions, down to 640x400)
gave the same result.

With Edgy Eft, when I upgraded, which includes an upgrade to 7.1, upon
reboot, I would get a message that the X server wouldn't start, it was
incorrectly configured.  Using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, and using
values that have always worked simply gave me a repeat of the same
message.

Doing some further googling, one person only had the trouble with a
Gateway monitor, fixed, he wrote, by changing monitors.  (He didn't
mention his video card, nor did he mention if the other monitor was also
an LCD).

Using the ATI card, Edgy Eft wouldn't boot into X even with 7.0.  The
Fedora installation got a bit further, and the Fedora installation got a
bit further--it would boot into X but shortly afterwards, when detecting
other Fedora installations, it stopped--not actually freezing, but it's
little revolving circle just kept revolving.

Both of these are considered experimental versions, I should probably
download Kate OS, Frugalware, or another theoretically stable distro
using 7.1 and test with that.  (It's a matter of time, energy and the
fact that at this point, it's of relatively low importance to me.)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Miss Calendar: Okay, so this Master guy tried to open the
Hellmouth, but he got stuck in it.  And now, all the signs are reading
that he's going to get out, which opens the Hellmouth, which brings
the demons which ends the world.
Giles: Yes. That about sums it up, yes.
Miss Calendar: The part that gets me, though, is where Buffy is the
Vampire Slayer. She's so little.