[tlug] > Subject: Re: Ubuntu update warning and fix

> From: "Evan Monroig" <evan.monroig@example.com>
<snip of my OP>
> The best fix is not to upgrade unless you confirm that the upgrade
> fixes a security bug.
>
> Bug I also did the upgrade yesterday and the fix was dead simple
> (downgrade)
>
> sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10
>
> Evan

Congratulations on your rude techno-elite geekiness and mastery of arcane
commands. Now how is your elaborate solution superior to the simple "sudo
apt-get upgrade" I mentioned? Do you understand that by the time I sent my
message, the Ubuntu people had already fixed it? Therefore your techno-elite
solution seems unneeded--in addition to lacking robustness. I'm also
impressed by your ignoring of your own oh-so-sage advice.

Still, one has to admit you are the superior techno-elite geek. So where
shall I send your congratulatory flowers? Also, free kudos from Microsoft.
They need your support in making Linux look bad, and they really appreciate
it, though they won't send you any flowers since it would hurt their
profits.

Incidentally, I wasn't sure where to start looking for the problem because I
had made a minor configuration change that was related to the display.
Therefore I was initially looking for a solution to something which was not
a problem.

Even farther out of the way, I didn't comment on the real damage this kind
of mistake does to the reputation of Linux in general and Ubuntu in
particular. That's actually the aspect that bothers me most, though your
unprovoked rudeness seems bothersome, too. More evidence I should drop Linux
for a few more years until Linux and its supporters mature a bit more.

Now excuse me while I resharpen my tongue. I seem to have blunted it a bit.