[tlug] Kickstart udev without restarting the computer

TLUG,

For reasons that I can't discern, when I plug in the Palm Pilot, I don't get the ttyUSB* files created in /dev.

I don't know why this stopped working, but I'm pretty sure it means that whatever daemon or process that listens for USB connections for the Palm is stopped.

But I'm not sure if it's technically a "daemon" or "process" that's responsible here. Whatever it is, it's something that starts up when I boot the machine.

So I'm almost entirely sure that if I rebooted, it would start working again.

But rebooting seems so... Windows. Before I resort to that, I thought I would ask and see if there's some way I can make my machine listen for the Palm Pilot again without having to shut down the machine entirely.

After all, isn't that what Linux is all about?

As you can probably tell though, I'm having a little trouble grasping the situation well enough to even form the right question. Which is why I can't form decent search terms for the web, either.

What command might I run that would effectively restart the process that listens for my Palm, without restarting the whole computer?

Thank you for any tips or advice.

--
Dave M G