[tlug] Small detail - file icons

Dave M G writes:

 > When I do that, the file will not have a graphical thumbnail icon, but
 > instead a clunky sort of icon in the shape of a page with the top right
 > corner folded over (you know the kind) with "AVI" or "PDF" or whatever
 > written on it.
 >
 > Now, if I burn the file down to CD-ROM, then I get the thumbnail icon.
 > This is also true if a Windows using friend gives me a CD-ROM or a data
 > DVD with graphics on it. Or if I'm emailed something from a Windows user.

How do you do the copying?  If you do it outside of GNOME/Nautilus,
then my guess would be that Nautilus caches the thumbnails somewhere,
eg a subdirectory named .thumbs.  If (a) that directory exists and (b)
doesn't contain a thumb for a file, I bet Nautilus assumes that file
is not thumbnail-enabled.  But if you download/copy using a GNOME
utility, it probably creates the thumbnail at copy time.

Maybe there's a GNOME-wide utility for rebuilding the .thumbs
directory?