Re: [tlug] SSH tunneling restrictions

Patrick Niessen wrote:

> Most articles describe the bridged mode,
> which I don't want to use as it requires "safe" client computers.

Using ssh instead of a VPN will not avoid the need to keep your
client computers "safe".

Any password you type on a compromised computer is also
compromised. Any keys you store on a compromised computer
(or access from a compromised computer, such as from a
USB flash drive) are also compromised. Any encrypted traffic
that is encrypted or decrypted on a compromised computer,
is also compromised.

Consider having your clients boot a live-CD (such as Knoppix
or Puppy Linux) to do your sensitive stuff, regardless of
whether you use a VPN or ssh.
You might want to make a custom live-CD disk.

Jim