Re: [tlug] See why you should not use M$ products!

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 15:02 +0900, Birkir A. Barkarson wrote:
> Scott VanDusen wrote:
> > Whow. That was kind of funny, in a sad way- however they don't mention
> > whether the laptop was running any M$ product...
> >
> > Not to disrespect any Dell users or or fans out there but as it turns
> > out I procure all the hardware for our company in APAC region, and
> > initially we had purchased only dell laptops and servers. However a
> > couple of our Dell servers had nothing but problems since we got them-
> > onboard raid controller failure, 3 scci discs going down simultaneously
> > on one machine (incredible!), and top that off with the fact that a
> > significant portion of the laptops we purchased had either onboard power
> > failure, fan failure, or disc failure within first 6 months of
> > operation. The support from Dell was excellent, but because of the
> > seemingly low quality hardware they initially provided us with, as well
> > as the low opinion of the Dell laptops from users here, lead our office
> > to switch manufacturers completely. As of a couple years ago we switched
> > to Toshiba for laptops, and the users here seem to like those a lot
> > more. As for servers, I've been building them myself.
> >
> > Again, no offense meant for Dell... or M$ for that matter. Don't get me
> > started on Sony products though ;-)
>
> In Dell's defense, I had a laptop that during travel got packed
> (foolishly) with a bottle of red wine.  The bag suffered a catastrophic
> failure of it's support bindings which led to the red wine bottle
> breaking, generously bathing the laptop in it's Italian truth. While the
> laptop was completely out for a day (hangover I suspect) it did regain
> full functionality after a day and some good drying (no cold showers).
> Even the CD drive which also took a bath in a puddle was working
> afterwards. As for lasting effects, there was a permanent scar on the
> LCD, some fractions in the casing due to shock but a considerable
> improvement in the smell of the device (strong blackcurrant). It's now
> serving 24/7 as my home server.
>
> BAB

Funny.

I just read a artical about how big Mike D. over that Dell is not
choosing  a Linux distro for there desktop because he doesn't want to
"alienate" any customers because it Dell isn't offering the distro of
there choice ....... What I don't get is how would that be different
from now????

The only offer one distro and I don't want it.

Wish I could find the article thought I saw it on ars....

Least no one got hurt ....

E./