Re: [tlug] Netcops, lighten up! [was: Job Offer]

On 19/06/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

An open letter to Mr. Paul:

I do not speak for list administrators.  I do not hold an official
position in TLUG.

I do, and so does Scott Robbins, so let me add our two cents
(actually, it is one yen from me and one cent from Scott, but who's
counting?).

We feel that it is in the best interest of TLUG to extend to people
posting jobs that are related to TLUG's charter (i.e. Linux / Unix,
Open Source, programming, even general IT) quite a bit more leniency
than we would for normal list traffic. TLUGgers often benefit from job
postings to the list, so we would like to do all we can to encourage
such postings, rather than possibly scare someone away with a
draconian enforcement of netiquette.

Godwin is absolutely right, in terms of netiquette, and I appreciate
the fact that he (along with Steve and a few others) does a lot to
educate people on the list. However, we are asking people to just grin
and bear it for the greater good when a well-meaning person posting a
job opening messes up.

Of course, this matter is open for discussion, so make your thoughts
heard on this thread if you feel I am overlooking something.

Cheers,
Josh