Re: [tlug] auto-shutdown at certain temp, testing, and CF boot

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks Godwin for the shippet of code- that was exactly what I was looking for. Now that I look at it, indeed it is pretty simple to do what I was thinking in perl. I had not used perl to pipe echoed statements to mail before, so I learned something new and very useful. Thanks for teaching me that.

Also Jim thank you for the stress testing info. I will follow up on that and post results if anyone is interested in liquid cooling performance.

On a different note, last night I began the install of Centos. The new kernel auto-detected all SATA drives without problem, and I began by setting up a raid 5 array on 3 SATA drives, then created the volume group and creating the logical volumes for each mount point. However I suddenly remembered that I did not have a spare IDE drive to install the /boot partition into, and I needed all 3 SATAs for that raid5 array, so I couldn't complete the install. I do however have a multidrive with a 2Gb compact flash card, and the bios for this TYAN motherboard allows booting from usb devices, so tonight I'm going to try and install the boot partition into that compact flash card. Then I could have good redundancy by making a copy of the flash card boot partition, as well as the raid 5 for system data. However from what I've read on the net, booting from CF looks tricky. Maybe this is the subject for a new thread so I apologize in advance for straying off topic.

Anyway wish me luck. This is the geekiest project I've tackled so far- liquid cooling, CF flash boot, raid 5- I'm pretty excited.

Cheers,

Scott VanDusen