Re: [tlug] NFS mounted directories deny some files to root

Patrick Niessen wrote:
Can anyone advise for the following problem?

I back up file data to a separate server using rsync.  This directory
is exported (ro) by nfs and mounted by a server that has a dat72
drive.  When I write to tape with afio I get permission denied on some
files even though the mount and the afio is launched as root.
I'm not 100% sure on this (maybe not even 60%) but is it possible that the NFS dir export is being root_squashed? If this is the case then in a setup kind of like this (Sorry for the crappy diagram):
machine1 --->  NFS export (/backup, ro) ---->  machine2
Any requests made by machine2 to machine1 as the root uid will be mapped to userid nobody (according to the manpage I'm looking at). You won't be able to access any files that only root will have access to.

You can try no_root_squash on your /exports on machine1 to see if that helps.

Alain