Re: [tlug] JIS X 0212? Any example "mixed charset" pages?

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:25:24 +0100
"Yo Sato" <yosato16@example.com> wrote:

> On 08/06/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:20:29 +0200, "Michael(tm) Smith"
> > <smith@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'd have thought that such web pages use HTML identities such as
> > &eacute; and &icirc; instead of the 8-bit characters. In this case, it
> > hardly matters what charset is used.
>
> This is something I have been noticing but which left me wondering:
>
> How can a web page refer to the characters outside the code set which it uses?

Since X and the page rendering engine in the browsers use unicode for
displaying the characters, it's a simple thing:
  * html entities are mapped to unicode.
  * the rest of the characters are mapped to unicode according to the
    page charset.

If the browser would convert the entities to characters encoded with the
page's charset, that would be tricky indeed.