Re: [tlug] JIS X 0212? Any example "mixed charset" pages?

On 08/06/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:20:29 +0200, "Michael(tm) Smith"
<smith@example.com> wrote:

I'd have thought that such web pages use HTML identities such as
&eacute; and &icirc; instead of the 8-bit characters. In this case, it
hardly matters what charset is used.

This is something I have been noticing but which left me wondering:

How can a web page refer to the characters outside the code set which it uses?

Even if it uses entity references, it still seem to me to require some
behind-the-scene trick... like, using utf8 just for those
characters...

Does anybody know how it really works?

Yo