Re: [tlug] Mounting an initrd file

Jim Tittsler wrote:
On May 31, 2006, at 21:29, Jim wrote:
I think it depends on the initrd format. For Dapper Drake, it is a
   Yes it does, it seems...  *sigh*

gzipped cpio archive.  So as Stephen suggested he can do:
gzip -dc /media/cdrecorder/casper/powerpc/initrd.gz | cpio -x
This is working (almost) perfectly. I can now see the contents of the archive and make the changes I need to get a initrd working on Dapper.

The only thing that isn't working for me is the -x option to cpio. It's not listed in the manpage for (GNU) cpio but 'cpio -i' or 'cpio --extract' did what I expected.

I'm tempted to ask about 'canonical' options in cpio but I'm betting the only canonical is there is none unless one worships the GNU gods and ignore all pagan UNIX deities :)

Thanks to all,
Alain