Re: [tlug] MySQL and utf8 Japanese characters. Again.

Keith, David,

Thank you for replying.

Keith Bawden wrote:
What is your locale set to? Type locale to find out.
dave@example.com:~$ locale
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Also, check if you have generated the required UTF-8 locales on your machine. This command will help: dpkg-reconfigure locales
dave@example.com:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
Password:
Generating locales...
 en_AU.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_BW.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_CA.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_DK.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_GB.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_HK.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_IE.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_IN.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_NZ.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_PH.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_SG.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_US.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_ZA.UTF-8... up-to-date
 en_ZW.UTF-8... up-to-date
 ja_JP.UTF-8... up-to-date
Generation complete.
Current default timezone: 'Asia/Tokyo'.
Local time is now:      Fri Apr 28 17:53:58 JST 2006.
Universal Time is now:  Fri Apr 28 08:53:58 UTC 2006.
Run 'tzconfig' if you wish to change it.

David E wrote:
In Firefox, check page info (right click - "View Page Info" in the menu)
(Deep sigh). This returns an error, which I think is not to do with the page, but is a problem with FireFox, because it happens on any page I try:
XML Parsing Error: syntax error
Location: chrome://browser/content/pageInfo.xul
Line Number 1, Column 1:creenY width height sizemode">
^

Man... does *anything* ever just work the way it should? Anyway, I did some searching on Google for this error, and it seems I need to learn about how FireFox implements chrome, or extensions, or .jar files or something, and I'd have to be a FireFox extensions developer to solve this. I gotta draw the line somewhere. So I have no idea what to do about this potentially informative method of inquiry that you suggest.

I think I'm tired and need to go lay down now.

--
Dave M G
I'm trying to look up any information about why this parsing error