Re: [tlug] Not understanding how updated kernels work

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:35:22 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> Happily, I learned that through GRUB I can just boot to my previous
> 2.16.20 kernel, and I'm back in business.
>
> But then another set up updates showed up, and that's when I got a
> little confused.
Instead of fixing the symptoms, why not fix the problem.
Look at your logs (/var/log/Xorg*.log, /var/log/messages, etc). We have
no way to know why your X stopped working.
It might me a problem with your x session manager, x configuration and
countless others.

> When I download more updates on a previous kernel, do the updates apply
> only to that kernel?
No, the kernel is just there to manage your hardware. The software stays
the same, whatever the kernel is (and thus might break running under
different kernel versions).

> I understand that updates to applications and
> things will impact the applications only. But what if, for example,
> there's something that affects the kernel, like an updated driver for a
> USB device?
All modules are contained within a single kernel package. You can't
update just the usb device driver on debian/ubuntu from .deb.