Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:28:06 +0900, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> Please don't be dismissive of problems just because they seemed easy to
> you.

I didn't want to belittle the problems you had getting the tablet to work.
It was obviously troublesome if it took months of battling.

Now look at it from this perspective:

1) March 28th, you post here saying you can't get your Wacom tablet to
work. This is the first anyone on TLUG has heard about it.

2) March 31st, you are asked for more details and you post config excerpts.
Marcus asks you for relevant sections of your xorg.conf and for log dumps.

3) April 1st, Josh posts links relevant to your problem, which help you
solve it, and you're good to go.

Once asked for relevant information, your problem is solved in 24 hours by
someone who's never heard of your problem more than 4 days before and who
doesn't even use anything like your hardware. This is a problem that took 4
days to solve, not 6 months. What you'd been through previously is, I'm
sorry to say, irrelevant to the process that took place on TLUG.

What I'd question, if anything, is the troubleshooting abilities of the
people of whom you were asking help previously, and the point I was trying
to make for Joseph's benefit was that finding solutions to problems *isn't*
always as difficult as the bleak picture you painted. We're supposed to be
*advocating* FLOSS here, not discouraging new converts by telling them that
it's going to take them 6 months to solve hardware problems.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Television -- a medium.  So called because it is neither rare nor
well done.
                -- Ernie Kovacs