Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Godwin Stewart wrote:

> ... I don't see how being a newbie is going to affect the
> performance the OP can expect from a graphics card.

It is easy for a newbie to be seduced by the siren calls of
proprietary drivers, or even compiling bleeding edge open
source drivers.

I am just trying to warn the newbie off of such entanglements,
to just go with the boring defaults.

> Personally, I couldn't care less about 3D performance and gaming,

Agreed. The boring open-source drivers work just fine for me too.

> Matrox cards are also supported by the kernel and by X as a general rule.
> They suck big time in 3D applications, but if you don't care then you get
> exceptionally clear output in 2D applications. Very good quality indeed.

Amen.

> They are, however, a bit more expensive than your bog standard ATI Radeon.

And worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_chunking
http://www.punkinchunkin.com/
http://www.google.com/search?q=pumpkin+chunking