[tlug] .config files: created if missing: edit them (was Die, .uim, die!)

Dave M G wrote:

> ... every time I reboot, a file in my home directory called .uim
> gets created. This file has some default settings, such as
> the accursed [shift]+[space] shortcut key, which over ride my preferences.

> All I have to do is delete this file, and my settings are back to the
> way I want. Easy enough fix, but annoying to have to do every time I reboot.

Instead of deleting the file,
learn how to put the settings you want into it.

> ... how do I stop this file from being created each time I reboot?

Don't fight it.

I would not try to keep this file from being created,
_unless_ it was _overwriting_ my hand-tweaked version.

> And why is it being created anyway?

It is common for many programs to make a config file or directory
of config files if there isn't one. To delete the file, is to fight
the way many programs are written to work.