Re: [tlug] "Subject:" (The message doesn't need to be in the title....)

    Lyle> Jim wrote:
    >>> [LHS] Why put the message in the title?

    >> By title, I presume you mean "Subject: ".

    Lyle> Why do you do that?

When there's a technical term, and somebody doesn't use it, clearly
he's unware of the conventions.  So all bets are off; he could mean
anything, and you are forced to figure out what that is.  In such
cases it makes sense to confirm that you have indeed figured out what
he meant, rather than confuse all and sundry by talking at cross
purposes for several messages.  This also helps third parties who do
understand the technical terms.

In other words, Jim was being polite.