Re: [tlug] "Akihabara via Ochanomizu"

On 4/2/06, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
> This is only on-topic via the fact that many on this list sometimes
> visit Akihabara and also have an interest in local culture, etc.
> Putting those together, I just posted a new page about Yushima Seido,
> which is just a few minutes from Ochanomizu and from there only ten
> minutes to Akihabara.  If you visit Akihabara between 10:00 a.m. and
> 4:30 p.m., you might enjoy walking through the oasis of the walled
> Yushima Seido area (there are three gates), stopping off to pay your
> respects to Confucius as you pass through....  The link is:
> http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/PhotoGlryMain/pgb/Yushima01.html

[a long time list-lurker writes:]

Fascinating! When on the move in Tokyo I try and get off a stop before or
after my destination and have a poke about through the side streets
as part of my multi-decade project to work out how Tokyo fits together.
Otherwise you end up with a very station-centric view and miss out
on a lot of interesting places.

I came across this place a few years back after an arduous slog
up from Jinbocho, it must have been late in the afternoon because
I only had a few minutes to look around before they chased me out,
and I never actually got round to finding out to what it was.

(Note to self: a few years ago I stumbled on a little "island" of
well-preserved, presumably post-war 2-storey houses somewhere to the
south of Ochanomizu
Station, must have a look to see if they're still there).

Ian Barwick