Re: [tlug] At my wits end and completely desperate (wacom problem)

    Dave> Marcus,

    >> What are the settings in your xorg.conf and is the wacom driver
    >> for X11 present/loaded (see /var/log/Xorg.0.log).

    Dave> The output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log seems to confirm my
    Dave> suspicion that the problem is the mouse and the stylus
    Dave> driver fighting for control of the tablet, as well as the
    Dave> driver not actually being present.

I don't think there's any fighting going on for the tablet.  This

    (==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
    (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
    (**) |   |-->Monitor "L1950T"
    (**) |   |-->Device "Generic Video Card"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
    (**) |-->Input Device "stylus"
    (**) |-->Input Device "eraser"
    (**) |-->Input Device "cursor"
    (WW) Duplicate core pointer devices.  Removing core pointer attribute
         from "stylus"

indicates that the stylus and the mouse are competing for attachment
to the X server as the primary pointing device.  Try unplugging your
mouse (and maybe removing "Configured Mouse" from the layout).  Betcha
you can use your tablet to move the X pointer.  It won't do whatever
"eraser" and "cursor" are supposed to do, though, and you'll probably
perceive a lack in the "stylus" functionality.  Still, it will (if
successful) prove that you can use the tablet.  (If unsuccessful, you
still have plenty of reason to be optimistic, but a success here would
be a real big win.)

    (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    (WW) Warning, couldn't open module wacom
    (II) UnloadModule: "wacom"
    (EE) Failed to load module "wacom" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) No Input driver matching `wacom'

You just don't have the driver.  That's all there is to it.  Ubuntu
seems to believe in not installing anything it doesn't think you need,
try grepping the package list for "wacom".  You may need to rebuild X
to get the driver, or download it from some proprietary site.  (The
latter seems unlikely since Marcus's pen works.)

The rest looks pretty good to me:

    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type:
    KEYBOARD)
    (II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

    Section "Module"
            Load    "i2c"
            Load    "bitmap"
            Load    "ddc"
            Load    "dri"
            Load    "extmod"
            Load    "freetype"
            Load    "glx"
            Load    "int10"
            Load    "type1"
            Load    "vbe"
            Load    "wacom"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
            Driver          "kbd"
            Option          "CoreKeyboard"
            Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
            Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
            Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
            Driver          "mouse"
            Option          "CorePointer"
            Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse0"
            Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
            Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver        "wacom"
      Identifier    "stylus"
      Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
      Option        "Type"          "stylus"
      Option        "CorePointer"
      Option        "USB"           "on"
      Option        "Mode"          "Relative"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver        "wacom"
      Identifier    "eraser"
      Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
      Option        "Type"          "eraser"
      Option        "USB"           "on"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver        "wacom"
      Identifier    "cursor"
      Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
      Option        "Type"          "cursor"
      Option        "USB"           "on"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Default Screen"
    # data probably not relevant
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
            Identifier      "Default Layout"
            Screen          "Default Screen"
            InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
            InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
            InputDevice    "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
            InputDevice    "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
            InputDevice    "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection