Re: [tlug] Networking with an ADSL Router

David Riggs wrote:
And I have to use DHCP to get my internet connectivity beyond the router, right?

At least for two Linux boxes on a router, I thought it might be simpler than the books I was struggling with seemed to indicate.

Yours,

David Riggs

First off I'm mostly used to Red Hat style machines (RH after this). Debian is a bit different: The Debian Way.

It's been a while since I played with NFS, but I don't remember it being very tough to set up. Unless I'm completely wrong DHCP is only for automatic assignment of local IP addresses and possibly passing some DNS info and such.

You'll probably want to set up static IP addresses and that's pretty easy. In GUI you should have a network setup program. I think it's under system or some such. I generally don't do things like that in gui though. On a debian machine I think you're net settings are under /etc/networks in a single file. I'd go to the debian site and check the section of the manual for network setup to find the format, but it's probably very similar to this one from the Red Hat style:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

Just pick ipaddreses. You can use 1, 2, 3 etc or get fancy, 10, 88, 69, whatever you like, just make sure to not use the routers address, 0 or 255.

You'll also need the gateway address (your router). On a RH machine that's in /etc/sysconfig/network but I'm not sure for debian. I've got a debian machine, but it's still *new* and I've only just begun to play with it.

You'll also need to set the DNS servers. On a RH machine that's /etc/resolv.conf

On the mac it's likely that the files are similar although I haven't played with one much.

Edit the files with a text editor and then restart your network. I think on a debian machine this is something like "/etc/init.d/network restart" or just reboot. Check to be sure that you have internet by opening a browser.

Oh, it's probably not a good idea to assign ip addresses statically that your router is assigning dynamically. You can go into your routers config and turn of DHCP or just use addresses outside the range that it assigns.

Once you've got static addresses you can set up ip/name mapping in /etc/hosts (again RH). As I remember the format is something like this:

192.168.0.3	myserver, myserver.com

Then you can verify that the name stuff is working:

ping myserver

Then you can set up the NFS connections and put them in /etc/fstab (again RH) to auto connect on boot. It just works like a mount point as I remember. I used to set up stuff like that using smbmount (similar to NFS as I remember) to mount a CD on my windows pc as pages on my web server.

I usually use google and the man pages to figgure out most configuration issues.

Hmm. Goggling Debian Network Configuration got me this link:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html

It looks like this whole chapter is good reading material for you. Or at least good skiming material.