Re: [tlug] Ken Lunde's great book, CJKV Information Processing

David Stibbe <dstibbe@example.com> asked:
>> I thought this would be a nice book to have :
>> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cjkvinfo/desc.html
>>
>> however, it is quite some money, while I have noone in my vicinity who
>> is capable of giving me a reasonable opinion about it.
>>
>> Does there happen to be anyone on this list who could tell me if this
>> book is worth the money ?

Depends how much you want it. It's a bit dated now, as it's getting on
for 8 years old.  It has virtually nothing on JIS 213, for example.
(FWIW, I was a prepublication reader for both that book and its
predecessor Understanding Japanese Info. Proc.)

I'd give the Unicode Consortium pages a lot of attention and then look
over Marcus Kuhn's pages on Unicode.

I find Ken's book good for looking up really way out things, especially
related to Chinese or Korean codesets, but if I didn't have a copy
already, I may not cough up the shekels for it.

I don't think it's getting a new edition.

HTH

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554