[tlug] unicode and Perl- how to pass command line unicode arguments

Does anyone know how to pass real unicode kanji to perl on the command
line? (Not just bytes that appear as kanji but are passed on as bytes.)

I finally magaged to get perl to do unicode work by saying 1. use utf8;
(to have unicode in the script), and 2. invoding with -CSio switch (to
do I/O in unicode). With these I can finally manipulate kanji (i.e. use
tr/// to tranlate from one to another kanji and s/// to do real
character classes and such).

But perl still reads the command line arguments as bytes, and they get
mangled in the script. I just want to pass it a kanji string. I am
limping along by reading from <STDIN>, but that messes up my abiility to
make a pipeline of perl scripts.

Thanks for any help,

David Riggs, Kyoto