[tlug] UpdateDB (was Re: Flash Player V8.0 xpti.dat .......)

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:45:39 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Scott> If you don't leave your machine on 24 hours a day, there's
>     Scott> a good chance that the [locate updatedb] cronjob won't
>     Scott> run--it's usually set (on Linux as well, I assume) to run
>     Scott> in the wee hours of the morning by default.
>
> On Debian AFAICT it's run via anacron.  That means that it's run as
> soon as practical after the period elapses, even across boots.

On a laptop or computer that you turn off frequently you may want to
turn off the updatedb ana/cronjob task.  I did this for my laptop,
because I could not stand listening to updatedb crunch through my hard
disk almost every time I turned the laptop on.

I need to make some time to play around with the inotify kernel
option.  Has anyone tried out
[[rlocate http://rlocate.sourceforge.net/]]
or something similar?

Cheers,