Re: [tlug] Flash Player V8.0 xpti.dat .......

Scott Robbins wrote:

>In fairness, it might be in different places on different systems, but
>still, the chances are it will be one of a few places.
>
>On my FreeBSD box it's in /usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/components.

I tried looking there via File Manager - Super User Mode, but didn't see
anything for Mozilla.

>Are you familiar with the locate and find commands?

No, I'm ashamed to say.

>The locate command uses a database and is very quick--on a system that
>is on all the time, usually there is a cron job that will update this
>database.  In most Linux distributions, you can run the command updatedb
>which will take a little while (you have to be root or have root
>privilege) then type locate <whatever> and get the answer immediately.
>
>Other times, the find command might be more suitable.  The command in
>this case would be, again as root or with root privilege
>
>find / -name "xpti.dat"
>
>It takes longer, but will sometimes find things that locate misses.

Thank you for explaining that!  Here's what I came up with when trying
it - of which I have a couple of questions;

linux:~ # find / -name "xpti.dat"
/opt/MozillaFirefox/lib/components/xpti.dat
/opt/mozilla/lib/components/xpti.dat
/usr/local/mozilla/components/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/.mozilla/firefox/FF091_A/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/.mozilla/firefox/FF091_B/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/.mozilla/firefox/default.b32/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/OO_Test01a/program/components/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/mozilla/components/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/FireFox107/components/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/seamonkey/components/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/.local/share/Trash/files/ThunderBird05/ThdrBrdOpen/thunderbird/components/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/OpenOffice.org1.1.1/program/components/xpti.dat
/home/lyle/OpenOffice.org1.1.4/program/components/xpti.dat
/home/guest/.mozilla/firefox/default.qv3/xpti.dat
find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc/1/task: this may be a
bug in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf
option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that
should have been searched.
/root/OldJunk/Mozilla/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird-0.6.1-win32/MozillaFirebird/components/xpti.dat
/root/.mozilla/firefox/agl31msm.default/xpti.dat
find: /media/floppy: No medium found
linux:~ #

The question is - since that file seems to be all over the place, should
each and every one of those be deleted?  And if so, just deleted, or
deleted and replaced with something else?  Does deleting it prompt each
application (OpenOffice, FireFox, etc.) to look for something newer that
I just installed with Flash Player 8.0?

The other question is regarding the warning:
find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc/1/task: this may be a
bug in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf
option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that
should have been searched.

Is this something serious, or not something to worry about?

Thank you very much for your help!

Lyle

PS - I'm using SuSE 9.3 on the box in question.