[tlug] Gmail hacks

Just a tip or two on how I use Gmail:

1. Crypto Outlaw

Gmail's web interface does not support encryption per se, but there is
nothing stopping you from writing your email in a text editor,
encrypting it manually with GnuPG, and either attaching it to the
email or simply pasting ASCII-armoured text into an email. e.g.

vim top-secret-email.txt
gpg -a -e -r spy@example.com -o - top-secret-email.txt
# copy the text, paste it into a Gmail

2. Overworked and Underpayed

My TODO list solution may be less elegant than Sacha Chua's[1], but it
works for me. I start a list by composing a mail, writing down the
items that I need to do, then saving the mail as a draft. To edit the
list, I just go to my "Drafts" folder, edit the email, then click
"Save Now" to update the draft. Now my "Drafts" folder is always
bolded in the Gmail interface, reminding me that I have shit to do.

When I want to transfer a file from one computer to another--say I
have a colour map that I need to print out at an Internet cafe--I just
attach the file to my TODO draft, and "Save Now". When I no longer
need it, I just go to my TODO draft, uncheck the file in the
"Attachments", and "Save Now".

Anybody else have Gmail hacks that they want to share? I really liked
Godwin's auto-backup solution:

http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00174.html

Cheers,
Josh