Re: [tlug] Linux Format magazine

On 01/02/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Josh> I suppose you are right: darcs / arch / whatever would work,
>     Josh> but then there is the problem of integrating that back into
>     Josh> our Subversion repository.
>
> The doctor says, "so stop doing that."

Right, but I meant, the next time we have a scenario like this...

...oh, I just got it. The final doc does *not* go back into our SVN
repository, since it is just fodder for Linux Format. Linux Format's
final PDF proof *should* go into our repository (since, presumably, we
want it on our website--LF copyright permitting, of course).

So for a workflow like this, the correct steps should probably be:

1. Create a distributed SCM repository for TLUG projects, which allow
for semi-public commits (by "semi-public", I mean, password-protected
with a common TLUG password)
2. All TLUG members can commit their revisions
3. At the end, the document owner locks the document so no further
semi-public commits can occur, then creates the final revision

Is this right? Sorry, I have *no* experience with distributed SCM, so
people who do should jump right in to correct any misconceptions I
might have.

TLUG's private SVN repository could then be updated with the final
revision of the document, or not, whichever makes sense.

Of course, a Wiki might be the way to go for workflows like this. Is
there Wiki software available that can track the complete revision
history of a document?

Didn't we discuss a Wiki awhile back? Was there interest in having a
TLUG Wiki? I am pretty sure I could convince Mauro to let me set one
up on tlug.sauco.net as a beta so we could gauge how useful such a
resource would be to TLUG. Should I do it?

-Josh