Re: [tlug] Box Freezes Up: named at fault?

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:02:51AM +0900, Shawn wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 06:54:13AM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 03:46:00PM +0900, Shawn wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > My box (FreeBSD) went offline yesterday. The screen was blank/black and frozen,
> > > and the reset button wouldn't work. I powered off and powered on again.
> >
> > 6.x is also snappier, (IMO, subjective only, no benchmarks) and it's
> > worth upgrading if possble.
>
> I'm running 4.11 with all current patches applied.
> I hadn't changed any config files in ages, and this suddenly started
> happening on Sunday afternoon.

Hrrm, if it's 4.11 and has been running without problem, then, like you,
I am tempted to suspect hardware.

> Not much suspicious looking in /var/log/messages... at the moment I'm tempted
> to suspect my memory has gone bad...  ?

Mine has, but I'm old---oohhh, the computer memory.

As you know, hardware troubleshooting can be a complete pain, especially
considering your next sentence.  The last time I had a hardware issue,
determined by segfaults at random places in several buildworld attempts,
it turned out to be an aging power supply--at least, that was the only
thing I changed that stopped the sig 11's.

> One thing against me is that the box is an hour drive by car (in Tsukuba) and
> I have to keep calling the people there to ask for reboots, which they are
> starting to get tired of. My attempt at a temporary solution to that is
> having written a cron job to reboot the server twice an hour... pathetic, I
> know, but...
>
> Scratching my head,

I am with you that it is probably hardware.  Not knowing the
circumstances, if it's a server that they own, perhaps you should ask
them to put the disk in another machine.

BTW, that's actually kind of an interesting band aid.  :)  (I'm sorry, I
know it's not funny).  If there's nothing really weird in the logs
though, I do agree that it seems quite possibly a hardware issue.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Riley: I thought maybe we could have a little spread. Sandwiches,
maybe some ants. Could be fun.
Buffy: We were talking about a picnic?
Riley: Oh... so, was that a conversation I actually had or one I
was just practicing?