Re: [tlug] Box Freezes Up: named at fault?

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 06:54:13AM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 03:46:00PM +0900, Shawn wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My box (FreeBSD) went offline yesterday. The screen was blank/black and frozen,
> > and the reset button wouldn't work. I powered off and powered on again.
> > An hour or so later, the same thing happened.
> >
> > Checking /var/log/messages, I see a bunch of lines like this (for the domains
> > for which my box is the slave DNS server) just before the box dies:
> >
> > Jan 29 13:29:52 skibo named-xfer[34085]: [210.239.161.186] not authoritative for hojin.or.jp, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 0, aucount 5
> >
> > I'm  using BIND version 8.
> > Here's some info from my named.conf file:
>
> Which version of FreeBSD?  In 5.x, I was sometimes getting lockups,
> though the reset button would work.
>
> Is it a custom kernel, and if so, are you using SCHED_ULE?  (That has
> had a few problems as well.)
>
> Lastly, both fxp and en network card drivers were both having problems
> at one point, fixed now, I believe.  (I have an fxp driver on 6.x--I
> haven't had this type of problem since upgrading.)
>
> 6.x is also snappier, (IMO, subjective only, no benchmarks) and it's
> worth upgrading if possble.

I'm running 4.11 with all current patches applied.
I hadn't changed any config files in ages, and this suddenly started
happening on Sunday afternoon. It seems to go down about every hour or so.
Not much suspicious looking in /var/log/messages... at the moment I'm tempted
to suspect my memory has gone bad...  ?

One thing against me is that the box is an hour drive by car (in Tsukuba) and
I have to keep calling the people there to ask for reboots, which they are
starting to get tired of. My attempt at a temporary solution to that is
having written a cron job to reboot the server twice an hour... pathetic, I
know, but...

Scratching my head,

Shawn

PS: I also check my mail on said machine, so mail to this account bounces
when the box is down... :-( !