Re: [tlug] How to make on-topic,an off-topic topic (was [100% off topic] Telescope...)

On 29/01/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> > I am looking again to buy a telescope.
>
> Let's rephrase that inquiry.
>
> You're looking for a cheap equatorial mount telescope _that_can_be_controlled_
> _by_Linux_ with GPS input. Now, the telescope is on-topic for this list.
>
> You _do_ what do control this with Linux, right?

Jim, you just unknowingly pulled a Jonathan Byrne-style topicalisation! ;)

Bruno, it is my opinion that posts to TLUG on "how do I find <insert
geeky hardware here> in Tokyo" are A-OK, as long as you limit your
enquiries to one on a specific subject in a reasonable period.

To use a real example, I posted awhile back, hoping that a TLUGger had
either a Zaurus or Palm Pilot-style PDA that they wanted to sell. I
got no responses, and let the thread die. In my judgement, it would
have been OK if I had replied to the same thread a week later, asking
once again, in case people had missed it the first time (I did not do
this in reality). This is fine because people who did not care about
this thread have probably already instructed their MUAs to ignore the
thread.

I believe that sort of thing is fine. It would not have been fine if I
posted a week later, asking the same question, but starting a new
thread. *That* would be very bad netiquette!

This is just my opinion, and people wishing to disagree should reply
to this post, making sure their response goes to <tlug-admin@example.com>
and not the main list.

Cheers,
Josh