[tlug] Tired of losing contact data

TLUG,

    As I'm sure most people on this list do, I have a collection of
contact information that I've accumulated over the years. I can't
remember what software I started out with when I began my computing days
back in the mid 80s, but I know that by the mid 90s I was using Outlook
on Windows.
    Even while on Windows, I also tried other applications like Eudora
and later Thunderbird.
    Now I'm on Linux, and I started with Thunderbird, then tried
Evolution, and now back to Thunderbird again.
    All the while, I've attempted to keep contact information synced
with my various Palm devices.

    The problem is that as I've moved my contact data between
application and platform, it gets a little more malformed with each
transition. I've lost whole entries, lost parts of entries, had strange
duplicates, etc... And of course, trying to have Japanese entries is a
whole other issue.

    Talking with a friend, he mentioned that really, there's no
advantage to any particular address book software over having it all in
a flat text file, because even the most simple text application has a
"find" function which is all one really needs to do with contact data. I
think he has a point, as far as ever finding any one contact goes. But
then one loses certain conveniences like accessing email addresses with
one click within the email application...

    Ideally, I'd like to be able to have my contact info in some form
that is easy to maintain (editable by direct input in a text editor),
and I can easily export to Thunderbird and to my Palm.

    But I don't think a universally applicaple file format like that
exists. It seems that field names never fully agree between software, so
if I built a CSV file that imported into Thunderbird, it wouldn't import
into a Palm device.

    Does anyone here have any suggestions about how to keep a safe
database of contact information that is interoperable with the
applications that use that data?

--
Dave M G