Re: [tlug] Bittorrent Newbie

On 25/01/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> And those effects are very important
> for those who don't make a habit of downloading stuff just because all
> the other kiddies and anonymous cowards are downloading it.

This is a little unfair, in that you are leaving out one important
part of Bittorrent's appeal (and granted, the discussion has been
mainly about pure bandwidth efficiency--whatever that means), which is
the Share and Share Alike principle.

Consider the TLUG tech meeting videos. Bittorrent is the perfect
delivery vehicle, since we can a) avoid using OSDL bandwidth, and b)
people who want the video are at least socially obligated to seed it
for awhile once they have it.

(b) is a big win for me. I like the idea of giri, at least in this
sense. And the fact that the Bittorrent protocol seems to at least
suggest socially responsible behaviour makes me happy. :)

-Josh