Re: [tlug] Bittorrent Newbie

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 02:38:21PM +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
>  Hi All,
>
> I downloaded bittorrent via yum, and am now trying to use it. When I
> click on a download in firefox, I get either save to disk, or, open with
> other. Save to disk only saves the bittorrent download file itself. If I
> choose open with other, I get starting... in the download window. What
> am I missing with this? I've learnt, that you can also open the
> downloaded .bittorrent file with your client and then start the download
> process, but, typing bittorrent into the terminal doesn't seem to start
> any client. Cheers.

I'm not sure about the command for your distribution, but with FreeBSD
the actual commands would be either bittorrent-console,
bittorrent-curses or bittorrent (which opens up a gui.)

I think I once got it to start from a browser, but usually, I just
download the torrent file and type

bittorrent <filename>

and it starts.

There's a few bittorrent tutorials around.

Oddly enough, though it's supposed to be faster, I've always found it
slower than standard downloads of ISOs.

You might have to open something in your firewall to work, although I'm
not positive about that either.

HTH a bit

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Riley: Way I heard it. You were all peaceable now. You didn't by
any chance go and lose that pesky soul again, did you?
Angel: Don't push me, boy.
Riley: Now what possibly could've happened with Buffy that would
make you lose your soul?
Angel: That'd be between me and her.
Riley: Where do you think you're going?
Angel: Going to see an old girlfriend.