Re: [tlug] Skype performance

Steve S. wrote:

> I just used Skype this morning on a different machine and operating system
> than I have been using.  It seemed to give much more drop-out than before.

The dominant factor would be the state of the network at that time,
not your PCs.

> The network connection is the same.

There are wrecks and traffic jams on the internet, just like on
physical roads. That you had a bad experience one time is not
statistically significant to establish a trend. You need to have
many more bad experiences before blaming your hardware.

That said, an infected machine will crawl, and some operating
systems are more vulnerable to infection than others.

> I'm trying to figure out what happened.

> Does anyone any experience with ... Linux Skype?

I've seen Skype work quite well every time talking between East
Asia and Midwest US, using Knoppix with AMD 1.2GHz Athlon and
no hard drive.

If you are suspecting your new (old) hardware/OS,
try Knoppix to eliminate the OS as an issue.