[tlug] skype alternatives

>>> godwin.stewart@example.com  wrote re: skype
> Plus it isn't worthwhile anyway. From here my ISP lets me make free VoIP
> calls to most of Europe and to North America - even China and Hong Kong
If I
> feel that way inclined.

I've used Skype from here (Calif) to Tokyo and it works great. But I'm a
bit paranoid about skype too.  I don't understand how they make money.

Yahoo jp has something that we don't even hear about here in the US, but
I'm not aware of other alternatives and don't really understand Yahoo
Phone which (unless it's just IM with audio) isn't available here in the
US on Yahoo's site.

My ISP doesn't offer VOIP and this is the first I've heard of something
like this.

What are the alternatives?  Is an ISP offering VOIP just something that
doesn't happen here in the US or is it just something I haven't heard
about?

Thanks
Steve S.