Re: [tlug] Kernel driver hacking (2.6.x)

On 17/01/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:

> 1, partially solved - A symbol that used to be #defined in linux/pci_ids.h
> and is no longer. I've added it back but need to inform the kernel team
> that the symbol needs to be put back in the kernel source. Incidentally,
> does anyone here know who to contact? There is no contact in the pci_ids.h
> file.

I think your best  bet is to scour the changelogs and find out when
that symbol disappeared, and why. And who "disappeared" it. Then
contact that person--after searching the appropriate mailing lists
liberally, or you're likely to be ignored.

> 2 - The drivers provided by Hebeisen make liberal use of the inter_module_*
> kernel functions, which are deprecated[,] but what replaces
> inter_module_register and how do you use symbol_* ?

Sorry, cannot help you there. But if you find the answer, do document
it, thus helping out your fellowman. :)

> The ltmodem project appears no longer to be maintained, and with more and more machines
> using 2.6 kernels there's no real excuse for the project to stay in limbo like that.

Fixing ltmodem for the 2.6 kernel would make you a hero, I would imagine. :)

I have attached the Gentoo ebuild for ltmodem--which appears to work
for 2.6 kernels--in case it helps you at all.

Cheers,
Josh