Re: [tlug] Mailing list software suggestions solicited.

On 17/01/06, Joshua B. <juggins@example.com> wrote:

> I'm 'shoping' for the lightest possible mailing list set-up.

I don't think you *really* want that. Most of Mailman's features are
there because people have needed them, and have tried to hack them
into the other list management software, with disastrous results.

> At this point I've looked into [...] Procmail/Smartlist. [...] I've always been interested in
> procmail.

I would recommend that you stay as far away from SmartList as
possible. Jim T, would you concur with this recommendation? ;)

Seriously, Mailman is pretty decent, pretty well supported, and is
likely to cause you fewer headaches than any other list management
package. This, in my opinion, is A Good Thing(TM).

All list managers suck, Mailman just sucks a little less.

> One last thing, the server is running Postfix is already set up and
> appears to be running fine, though I'm prepared to learn a lot more
> about how to manage it in the near future.

All mailers suck, Postfix just sucks a little less. ;)

Seriously, Postfix and Exim tend to be the MTA of choice for most mail
admins on this list, so that means that, if you choose one of them, at
least you will have a forum for help when you forget to set
my_destinations properly and your server won't accept any mail... not
that any of us has ever done that! ;)

-Josh