Re: [tlug] [tlug-digest] Editing Soud Files (WAV & MP3)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:49:54AM +0900, Josh wrote:
> On 17/01/06, Tod McQuillin <devin@example.com> wrote:

> Walter, if you do not attribute text you are quoting, how are we to
> know who said it?
>
> > > Why?
> >
> > I can't resist...
>
> Very nice, Todd. I imagine Scott will jump in with one, if not two,
> examples of humorous top-posting (the coffee one is my favourite).

Ok, you can have both them.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Yes please
With cream and sugar.
Would you like coffee?
How would you like it.

> Also, since this is TLUG, and you agreed to our List Policy when you
> subscribed, Walter (what? you didn't read the List Policy doc which
> was linked in the subscription confirmation email?), please see:
>
> http://tlug.jp/listpolicy.php#postq
>
> Wherein top-posted is *explicitly* forbidden on TLUG.
>
> Please play by our rules, or take your toys elsewhere. ;)

Ok, all that official stuff aside, as more newcomers join tlug, let us
try to educate.

In general, on most Unix and Linux lists, inline posting is preferred.
It is more like a conversation.

Top posting is the default in many MS (and probably other) mail clients,
so people get used to it at work and in casual emails.  However, on a
list like this, there are a few reasons to not do so.

It will annoy the people most likely to be able to give you good
answers.  It's not a matter of "play my way or don't play," it's a
matter of self-interest--if someone sees that you consistantly top post,
they're very likely to begin ignoring your questions and even your
answers.  Whether this is elitism or not, it's the way it is.  FWIW,
you'll see the same admonitions on the more technical MS lists.

It's also a matter of consideration.  Suppose you write a brilliant
answer to a question that I didn't see.  Now, my curiosity is piqued,
but I'll have to scroll down to see what the heck you were talking
about.  A minor inconvenience, but keep in mind again, that the most
knowledgeable people on this list are also usually the busiest.

You can argue that inline posting also makes people scroll down--yes,
but it has more context, more of a flow of conversation.

Regardless of the fairness or unfairness of it, if you consistantly top
post, you'll simply find that a lot of people ignore your posts--often,
they will be the people who would have been able to help you.

In general, when we see someone is top posting, especially if they're
new, either Josh or myself sends a polite email, explaining this.  Since
you were the lucky one where it was mentioned publicly, I figure this is
a good opportunity to explain to everyone why tlug prefers inline
posting.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

- --

Scott Robbins, list co-moderator

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Joyce: Have we met?
Spike: You hit me with an ax one time. Remember? Uh, 'Get the hell
away from
my daughter!'
Joyce: Oh. So, do you, uh, live here in town?