Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... what doyou think?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:55:11 +0900 (JST), "Micheal E Cooper"
<mcooper@example.com> wrote:

> True, but one of the profs where I work is using Linspire at home, and she
> claims it is no-brainer heaven. Besides, my dad will not be doing any
> fiddling or hacking or even experimenting anytime soon. I think he will
> just be reading the web and doing a little email. I think it will be a
> while before he can handle the vastness of the information out there.

Good point - worth taking into consideration.

> The only thing that I worry about is the dial-up on Linux. When I tried it
> last (long ago), it was flaky.

pppd works well enough as long as you're dealing with a hardware modem.
That was true roughly 4 years ago anyway (I've used DSL since then). It
could well be that winmodem support has improved since then and indeed, the
Lucent/Agere winmodem in my laptop seems to work well enough, but I've
never used it for more than a few minutes at a time.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi):
  "Mr. Gandhi, what do you think of Western civilisation?"
Gandhi:
  "I think it would be a good idea."