Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... what doyou think?

"Godwin Stewart" <godwin.stewart@example.com>:
>> So what do you think of this idea? Do you think Linspire would be a good
>> choice, or do you think that pushing Dad into Linux from the start is a
>> bit like throwing a toddler in the bayou to teach him to swim?
>
> I think it's a good idea, not least of all because I did exactly the same
> thing :)

> While NetZero supports Linspire specifically, I'm wondering if a more
> mainstream distro wouldn't be a better idea. He's more likely to find help
> on the 'Net if he's using something more widespread like Fedora, SuSE or
> (ick...) Mandriva. Either way round (and regardless of the O/S you let him
> loose on), his first call for help will be to you rather than anyone else,
> so maybe you should set him up with something you're more acquainted with.

True, but one of the profs where I work is using Linspire at home, and she
claims it is no-brainer heaven. Besides, my dad will not be doing any
fiddling or hacking or even experimenting anytime soon. I think he will
just be reading the web and doing a little email. I think it will be a
while before he can handle the vastness of the information out there.

The only thing that I worry about is the dial-up on Linux. When I tried it
last (long ago), it was flaky.