[tlug] [tlug-digest] Mozilla Printing. gimpprint is already installed.

As Steve and Josh said:
 > Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>
 >
 > On 02/01/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

 >>Gag me.  (There should be drivers in the gimpprint and ghostscript
 >>distros.  If there are not, then either the printer is really new or
 >>the mfr Doesn't Get It.)

--->
 > So what Steve is saying is:
 >
 > sudo apt-get install gimpprint
 >

 >>    David> 1. I have no postscript options for this printer in CUPS
 >>    David> 631-- the Samsung is not postscript.
 >>
 >>CUPS should be driving Postscript through a third party app such as
 >>Ghostscript or gimpprint.
 >

 > Try to re-install the printer after you have installed gimpprint. Use
 > a gimpprint driver, and hopefully the option to render Postscript
 > level 2 will appear.

Thanks Steve and Josh--

I can find no drivers for this scx-4100 on linuxprinting.org. There have
been lots of problems with the Samsung install in the past, but now it
at least installs OK.

I do have gimpprint installed (it gets dragged in with CUPS it seems).
Though the naming is slightly different:

I do have gimpprint, though not installed as "gimpprint" which does not
exist. apt-cache search gimpprint shows these installed:

"i   cupsys-driver-gimpprint                               - printer
drivers for CUPS
i A cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data                          - Gimp-Print
printer drivers for CUPS
i A ijsgimpprint                                          - printer
drivers for CUPS
i A libgimpprint1                                         - The
Gimp-Print printer driver library"

If I "apt-cache show" the driver package cupsys-driver-gimpprint, it
says, (among much else):

"This is Gimp-Print version 4.2.7"

BTW I have tried various encodings to produce the html Mozilla is
reading (not just my usual utf-8) and they give the same results or worse.

There must be a way to understand all this, or at least a little bit of it!

I will keep experimenting.

Thanks,

David
Kyoto