[tlug] [tlug-digest] Mozilla printing. No joy. Isn't there some good Mozilla doc about printing?

 > Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>
 > Date:
 > Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:41:39 +0900

 > On 31/12/05, David Riggs <dariggs@example.com> wrote:
 >

 >>1.
 >>The thread explains that one solution is to set CUPS to render into PS
 >>Level 2 before sending to printer.
 > I am pretty sure we explained that in the thread. Basically, start
 > CUPS, go to http://127.0.01:631/ in a web browser, click on printers,
 > then configure printer. If you are using a Postscript driver, one of
 > the options will be render to PS level 2. Check the archives again. If
 > you still have problems figuring out how to do this, let me know.
 >
 > Also, did you ever tell us what distro you are using?
 >

 >>2.
 >>Mozilla does support about:config (typed into the browse address),
 >>thanks, I did not know about it. But there is no userprefs.* for
 >>anything. I did change print.postscript.nativefont.jp from null to EUC.
 >>(is that what I needed to do?)
 >>
 >>That made no difference: kanji still boxes.
 >>
 >>So, it looks like this can work, if only I knew more.
 >>More instructions would be much appreciated.
 >

 > I do not remember the exact setting. Did you ask Google?
 >
 > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=firefox+printing+euc&btnG=Search
 >
 > Looks like the proper value for print.postscript.nativefont.jp should
 > be "euc-jp".
 >
 > HTH,
 > Josh

Thanks Josh.

I am Debian/Sarge/KDE/CUPS/Samsung SCX-4100 MFP (a GDI printer with
Samsung drivers)

1. I have no postscript options for this printer in CUPS 631-- the
Samsung is not postscript. This point slipped past me when trying to
make it generate PS 2, but I presume that is why I have no options for
generating PS 2 in my print dialog, even though Mozilla offers a PS
printer option for the Samsung, in addition to its default of @example.com One
option is to print from a Mac classic to postscript via the LaserWriter
driver and print that file with kprinter. Works fine.

2. I tried setting the print.postscript.nativefont.jp to euc-jp. Still
boxes.

Anyway, one work around is to save my Mozilla xml output as HTML as
print from OO, which opens HTML. Of course it mangles even basic css
style information. Which makes a hash of everything, and it cannot seem
to handle the old kanji, which otherwise comes through.

Thanks for all the help. It really does not seem to be feasible. Alas,
that other operating system just prints everything with Mozilla.

I did google around, but cannot see anything that fits.

I will keep working. Thanks for the help everybody.

Isn't there some good Mozilla doc about printing? I really do not find
anything.

David

Kyoto