Re: [tlug] running an X program from a daemon script

    Evan> I tried to set up the environmental variable DISPLAY to :0,
    Evan> and also XAUTHORITY to ~/.Xauthority,

The daemon is not running as you (or it would just work).  So "~"
doesn't mean your home directory, and it may not even mean an existing
directory.  Try the "~evan" syntax (but it needs to be done in a
context where the shell will interpret the "~", that's not a libc or
kernel function IIRC).  Alternatively, man xauth, and export the perms
to a file the daemon (and only the daemon) can read.

    Evan> but it doesn't work. I also tried 'xhost +evan' but it
    Evan> changes nothing.

+evan probably assumes a TCP transport, you may need to use localhost
instead.